SES, the world-leading satellite operator, transmits TV channels to 2.7 million TV homes in Uganda according to its Satellite Monitor study, which was conducted for the first time in the country.
The Satellite Monitor is an annual market research study that provides valuable market insights for industry players, as well as local producers, to further understand the broadcasting landscape and demonstrate the important role of satellite infrastructure.
The study shows that SES reaches 2.7 million TV homes in Uganda, of which over 1.4 million are served directly by its satellite fleet. This demonstrates the leading position of SES in satellite broadcasting as it directly reaches 74% of all satellite TV homes in the country. In addition, more than 1.2 million Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT) homes are fed indirectly by SES.
The results of the study also reveal the strong potential growth for the broadcasting industry in Uganda: out of 8 million homes, 49% are equipped with TV reception, while the other 51% don’t have access to TV yet. Out of the 4 million TV homes, 48% are reached by satellite and the rest are served by terrestrial networks.
The Satellite Monitor study, commissioned by SES and carried out by various independent institutes, has been conducted for over 20 years in Europe and has been successfully replicated in various African markets such as Nigeria and Ghana. This year the survey was expanded with the addition of three African countries: Uganda, Tanzania and Ethiopia. For the survey in Uganda, the first of its kind in the country, 4,000 interviews were conducted.
“Expanding the Satellite Monitor study to five African countries is yet another indication of our commitment to the region,” said Clint Brown, Vice President, Sales and Market Development for Africa, SES Video. “The study shows there is an open field for TV growth in Uganda, and our goal is to support the local industry players seizing those growth opportunities. With the advantage of reach, satellites are the ideal infrastructure for broadcasters to expand their audience in Uganda. As we provide optimal coverage over the region, and have local expertise of the broadcasting landscape, we are well positioned to help them switch more homes to TV.”
SES has increased its reach to 30 million TV homes across Africa. Along with Uganda, Ethiopia and Tanzania were included in the Satellite Monitor for the first year and together account for 7 million homes. SES has seen strong growth in West Africa, with an increase from 3 million to 11 million homes in Nigeria, and from 2 million to 4 million homes in Ghana.
The Satellite Monitor results for Tanzania will be announced on 7 June.